G elatin is the purified protein derived by the hydrolysis of collagen-rich connective tissue or bones of animals. Sounds kinda gross, right? If you can forget about what it is, and focus on what it does for your health, you will love this amazing high protein powdered supplement — up to a whopping 11 grams per tablespoon!
Much research shows varied health benefits, and some doctors even suggest that vegetarians should also be consuming gelatin or collagen on a regular basis to ensure adequate dietary intake of a complrehensive amino acids.
Gelatin is the cooked form of collagen and doesn’t dissolve in water, instead it gels up – making it perfect as a thickening agent. A more intensive processing creates a slightly different product called collagen hydrolysate, and this powder eliminates the gelatin while maintaining a complete protein.
Thus, collagen is perfect for adding to soups, smoothies, baked goods, or anywhere else you would use a protein powder supplement. This collagen powder is available in a bovine or fish variety.
Among the many health benefits of gelatin or collagen:
- helps with skin issues like acne, eczema and psoriasis by providing glycine and proline, two amino acids that are used in the production of collagen, which promotes healthy skin
- enhances gastric acid secretion and restores a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach by filling holes and damaged areas of the stomach lining and reducing inflammation; it also increases the amount of gastric acid in the gut, which is needed to breakdown and digest protein
- absorbs water and helps keep fluid in the digestive tract, promoting good intestinal transit and healthy bowel movements
- research shows that athletes who took a hydrolyzed collagen supplement had less pain in their joints, which could help improve performance and recovery
- also helps reduce inflammation for arthritis sufferers